Who doesn’t love a holiday abroad? Enjoying drinks by the pool, getting tanned on the beach and exploring new cultures. However, in recent months, millions of Brits have decided to holiday in Britain; being a relatively small but diverse island, there is a whole host of ‘staycation’ options available for holidays.
Whether you’re looking for a city break, a seaside getaway or a countryside adventure; the UK offers up some truly unique holiday destinations. With all this to discover, we’ve picked out a few of our favourite destinations near us to get you started.
Staycations In and Around the Cotswolds
Here at Hilden Lodge we are perfectly located for you to explore the Cotswolds which cover an area of over 790 square miles. There is an abundance of beautiful countryside, historic market towns and priceless views to explore, a couple of our favourites include:
- Bourton-on-the-Water – Dubbed the ‘Venice of the Cotswolds’, the low bridges, rivers and honey coloured walls that run through the town are what makes the town so picturesque, and keep tourists coming back to the town.
- Moreton-in-Marsh – As a traditional market town, Moreton-in-Marsh still hosts its market up every Tuesday, taking up the whole main street with some 200 stalls and the perfect place to buy local produce or a souvenir.
However, if historical towns are not your cup of tea, here are some other things to do in the Cotswolds:
- Cotswold Wildlife Park & Gardens – over 260 different species of animals in over 120 acres of Parkland make this a whole day adventure. Get up close and friendly to the animals, walk with lemurs or ride Bella the train around the grounds.
- Cotswold Falconry Centre – home to over 60 different species of Birds of Prey some of which are protected species. Learn about their conservation and get up close if you want to. A must for any bird lover.
- The Cotswolds Distillery – the first-ever full-scale craft distillery within the Cotswolds, producing the first-ever Cotswolds Single Malt Whisky, featuring Cotswolds-grown barley. Not to mention the award-winning Cotswolds Dry Gin, featuring local lavender from Snowshill, along with a range of small-batch brandies and liqueurs.
At Hilden Lodge, we are lucky enough to have these picturesque locations just a short journey away and transport can be arranged for you to any of these places should you choose to stay with us.
Cheltenham – The Perfect UK Holiday Destination
Cheltenham has surged in popularity with tourists and families for holidays, specifically designed in the 18th century as a health resort, hence why it’s often referred to as ‘Cheltenham Spa’. With a whole host of things to see and do it’s easy to see why it has remained so popular over the years, annual events and festivals in Cheltenham are world renowned, including the Cheltenham Literature Festival, Science Festival, Music Festival and Food & Drinks Festival.
If it is Sunny
- Take a walk – Nestling on the edge of the Cotswolds, Cheltenham is the perfect place to take on the various walking routes around the Cotswolds. If you want to explore Cheltenham on foot – take a look at our favourite walking routes in and around Cheltenham here.
- Visit the Sandford Parks Lido – A huge 50 Ft. outdoor swimming pool makes this a great day to relax and catch some sun. There are slides and a children’s pool if you are with your whole family. If not there are always lanes marked off for serious swimming training. The lido also hosts other interesting events that you can view here.
- Pitch and putt course in Pittville Park – a 9 hole putting course for all to use can be a great fun afternoon!
If it’s Raining
If you are unfortunate enough to face the unpredictable English weather during your holiday in Cheltenham, there are plenty of things to be enjoyed if the weather lets you down:
- Visit the Everyman Theatre – An architectural masterpiece that has inspired generations of performers since its opening. The everyman theatre is open 09:00-17:00 daily and even later during high season. Running performances of ballet, opera, drama, comedy and music. Tickets may need to be booked in advance for some shows so take a look at what’s on here.
- Take A Break At The Spa – Cheltenham is famous for its Spas, with a long history surrounding them. When staying at Hilden Lodge, we can offer a discount for guests at the Chapel Spa a short distance from us.
- Explore Cheltenham History at The Wilson – Cheltenham’s famous Art Gallery and Museum ‘The Wilson’ gives visitors the chance to peek into Cheltenham’s history, as well as viewing a collection of painting and rare ornaments.
Why Holiday In The UK?
Whilst the weather may not be perfect, there are plenty of reasons to consider a domestic holiday this summer:
- Following Britain’s vote of an eventual exit from the European Union, the value of the £ is less than it was prior to the vote when exchanged into other currencies, this means better value when travelling in the UK and more business for UK shops and companies.
- Travelling domestically eliminates the need for a passport, which are expensive to renew when they expire.
- You won’t have to worry about airport delays, language barriers or long flights when holidaying near home, you can just jump in the car and let the adventure begin.
Enjoy Your Next ‘Staycation’ at Hilden Lodge
If you’re planning a holiday in or around Cheltenham soon, why not stay with us at Hilden Lodge. In addition to our 12 luxury en-suite rooms, we offer free Wi-Fi, award winning breakfasts and discounts on Spa Days near us. Give us a call on 01242 583242 or Book Now.